Tools for Engaging Policymakers: Calling Policymakers
Public support for expanding KanCare is overwhelming. However, policymakers need to hear from you about why you support expanding KanCare.
To ensure this happens, we encourage you to call your representatives to express support for expanding KanCare.
To help you with your conversations with elected officials, we have drafted a sample script for you to use. If you have any questions or need any other assistance before calling policymakers, please call us at 785-861-7894 and we can work on it together!
Here’s all it takes:
- Look up your legislator using the tool our partners at MainStream Coalition have launched.
- Please read the script below, review it and personalize it.
- After you’ve called your candidates, please share any feedback with the Alliance for a Healthy Kansas. You can email feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am calling to ask you to Expand KanCare and protect our interests in Kansas before Congress takes action on the Affordable Care Act.
- Kansas is in an extremely challenging budget crisis. Expanding KanCare is a budget neutral proposal with the potential to add over $69 million to the state’s bottom line in 2017 to help address budget problems.
- Expanding KanCare would improve the health of more than 150,000 hard-working Kansans who earn too much to qualify for our current KanCare program, but not enough to receive support for purchasing private insurance.
- Expanding KanCare protects hospitals across the state that are at financial risk and create thousands of jobs, especially in rural communities.
We can Expand KanCare with a Kansas-specific plan that helps solve the budget gap and provides coverage to more than 150,000 Kansans, stimulates the economy and creates thousands of jobs.
Time is of the essence. We have already lost more than $1.7 Billion by not expanding KanCare, a total that increases by $1.9 million each day. Don’t let Kansas get left behind if Congress changes the ACA before we expand KanCare.
Thank you for your time and your efforts to make our state a great place to live and work.