Tools for Engaging Policymakers: Calling Policymakers
Public support for expanding KanCare is overwhelming. However, policymakers need to hear from you about why you support expanding KanCare.
To ensure this happens, we encourage you to call your representatives to express support for expanding KanCare.
To help you with your conversations with elected officials, we have drafted a sample script for you to use. If you have any questions or need any other assistance before calling policymakers, please call us at 785-424-0779 and we can work on it together!
Here’s all it takes:
- Look up your legislator using the tool our partners at MainStream Coalition have launched.
- Please read the script below, review it and personalize it.
- After you’ve called your legislators, please share any feedback with the Alliance for a Healthy Kansas. You can email feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am calling to ask you to join more than 70 percent of Kansans and support Expanding KanCare.
- Expanding KanCare is fiscally responsible. It will add to the state’s bottom line and help address budget problems in 2018 and beyond.
- Expanding KanCare would improve the health of more than 150,000 hard-working Kansans who earn too much to qualify for our current KanCare program, but not enough for financial assistance to buy private insurance.
- Expanding KanCare protects hospitals that are at financial risk, especially in rural communities, and will create economic growth and thousands of jobs.
We can Expand KanCare with a Kansas-specific plan that helps solve the budget gap and provides coverage to more than 150,000 Kansans, stimulates the economy and creates thousands of jobs.
Time is of the essence. We have already lost more than $2.4 Billion by not expanding KanCare, a total that increases by nearly $1.9 million each day. Too many Kansans do not get the health care services they need. Everyone should be able to see a doctor when they need to.
Thank you for your time and your efforts to make our state a great place to live and work.